Saturday, May 5, 2012

Temples are for TWO...

Raleigh got married April 21st.  We went out to St. George to celebrate and be there for the sealing.  Jordan was highly stressed over school matters and mentioned several times that he might want to duck out of the reception... luncheon... everything... except the temple sealing.  That is the most important part after all.

We show up at the temple.  His temple recommend is expired.  St. George Temple has an army for workers and they would not let him in. They said "even if you call your Stake President it will not make a difference. "  And the truth is... we don't even know our stake president.  He just got called.  We just moved here.

I kissed him goodbye with a sigh and headed in.  Without him.  I thought it was unfortunate.  I was bummed.  But I really didn't think it was that big of a deal.  BUT, then I started praying.  I got into the chapel and it effected me that he was not there with me.  I didn't expect that so much.  I continued to pray.  It was time to go into the sealing.  As I walked through the temple my heart was broken.  I was blindsided by my feelings of sadness at not having him there with me.  I thought, 'oh why am I still praying? it's too late now.'  I looked around the room with everyone anyone cares about, pitying and curious eyes rested on me and I felt embarrassed, sad, and so emotion.  I really didn't expect that.  The sealer began to speak, the words touched my heart, reminding me how grateful I am to be sealed to my one and only.... and the DOOR OPENS.  There he is!  Dressed in white and coming in the middle of the sealing!  I was immediately struck with gratitude.  I was filled with butterflies like when we were very first dating.  Then I was filled with guilt that I gave up on my prayers, as if they COULDN'T be answered "there's nothing He can do." I said to myself

I'll never forget the whispering to my soul of these few words.  "you are good and righteous people"

Overwhelmed.  He thinks we are good.  He thinks we are righteous.  He listened to our prayers.  WE were praying for the same thing at the same time even when we were apart.  He gave us a tender mercy that day, JUST BECAUSE.

This was one of the most sacred days of my life.  The feelings were strong.  They were unexpected.  They were merciful.  They were true.  When I got to my dressing room I knelt down with tears in my eyes THANKING Heavenly Father for that small, to so many, but GREAT blessing that day.  In my tiny dressing room.  Temples are for two... Me and that wonderful guy I married.

I got to hear his crazy story after.  One that was not shy of spiritual depth as well:  The spirit of discernment from the Stake President and the temple recorder.  The blessing that the Stake Pres. answered on the first ring after not ONE of the bishopric could be reached.  He said he felt the spirit so strongly.  And so did I.

I hope I never forget that day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment