Saturday, April 17, 2010

You are wonderfully normal...

Saturday April 17th, 2010

Before my Grandpa Jack passed away I would send him links to my blog to that he and my grandma could stay in touch with us and see our little Olive because we weren't able to see them much. He was a wise man, but of little words, especially in emails. After getting an email link to our blog he would respond with something like:

Thank you for sharing. You are a wonderfully normal family.

to some that may seem an odd thing to say (well it is odd) but coming from my grandpa it is a compliment. It is a blessing to be able to be "normal" and functioning in social ways. To be able to go to ward activities or travel AND have fun at the same time... something that I think was a struggle for some of my extended family.

Tonight we went to our ward's SPRING FLING. It was an open mic night and dance! (I know! A dance for a married ward with children!?... so fun!) At the open mic night every time someone was done, Olive said, "My turn!!" I kept asking, "you want to go sing a song too??"... trying to clarify what she really meant. And she would say yes. So Olive and I got us to the microphone and sang (ok.. she got shy and I sang it) 'On Top of Spaghetti.' It was her first debut at a microphone in front of a large crowd. She didn't sing a word. But she thought she did!

Then the dance started and she was a MANIAC. In the middle of EVERYONE twirling and dancing, kicking her feet... she loved it. She danced all night long. She reminds me of me a lot sometimes. I was a proud parent as I saw a fun trait get passed to my little one. She is going to LOVE church dances! Any dance for that matter.

I'm grateful tonight to have a normal and functioning family! I'm grateful that we can be dorks, go to a church dance with our babe and pregnant belly, and dance the night away, and never wish we were somewhere else!

I guess we are wonderfully normal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment