Friday, December 9, 2011

Faith in the Atonement



I've just read several passages of scripture pertaining to the atonement of Jesus Christ.  The atonement is such a BIG thing in the gospel, and yet it's so tricky.  I remember growing up in Young Women's and having a very strong testimony of being obedient to things like... word of wisdom, swearing, dating, chastity, etc.  Things that you could DO or not DO... it was easy to see the result and feel accomplished.  I also remember knowing that within myself I didn't understand this who Christ's atonement thing... and yet we hear it is THE most important thing, the 'corner stone' of our church.  I knew that one day I'd really have to figure this out.  But for the moment I'd just hold fast to the more black and white commandments of the gospel.

I remember really GETTING the atonement for the first time while in the singles ward where my Bishop, my now dear friend David Buckner, giving a combined Priesthood and RS lesson about the atonement.  He used the altar as an example and said we could lay ANYTHING upon it- sin, transgression, sickness, pain, weakness, infirmities, helplessness, sadness, depression, anger, ANYTHING. As long as we placed it on the altar, meaning we realize we can't do it ourselves, the Savior will take it from us!  He will just TAKE it from the altar and it will be gone.  This kind of blew my brain!  And I was so excited I was finally beginning to understand the enormity of the atonement and what it covered.

Now, as I prepare for teaching the Young Women the Christmas lesson, I've been pondering WHY Christ even came to earth and why we celebrate him even at his coming, as a baby, to this earth.  Once again, we are brought to the atonement.  It was his mission.

There was no way for us, living on this earth, to get rid of sadness, sin, guilt, sorrow, pain, physical ailment, being a victim, doing something awful, depression, anger, etc.  How are we do deal with these things. But not only these things while we are living on the earth, but DEATH itself.  That would be the end of us.

I found it really awesome in my study of 2 Nephi it says that the spirit knows all things.  BUT the SAVIOR had to come and experience it in the flesh himself so that he would KNOW how to succor us!  I hate that the Savior, a person just like you and I, someone's Son, had to volunteer and had to follow through on this task.  But think of the alternative.  Even if it was just the spirit that was meant to succor us... would we be able to put our full confidence in a being that doesn't have a body, hasn't experienced flesh and earth life.  It's like when you go through a hard trial and someone says, "Oh I'm so sorry,  I know what your going through"  and you think... 'well, that's really nice, and I'm sure they kind of understand what I'm going through, but do they KNOW? have they been through the EXACT same thing? no they haven't. and I'm still all alone.'  Right?  I mean, hopefully we would have more faith if that was the way.  But guess what?  It wasn't the way.  Christ volunteered to literally come to the flesh and literally go through EVERY SINGLE THING we will and everyone else will in their lifetime.  How this was done, we may never know fully, but it was done.  And imagine... what if you did have a best friend who went through the EXACT same thing you did.  You're burdens would seem lighter knowing you were not alone.  But it goes a step further with Christ.  A friend may make you feel better but Christ can TAKE IT AWAY.  He WANTS to because he really KNOWS.

As I was praying this morning, I asked to know of myself for a surety that these things happened.  That Christ was born, he lived his ministry and great example as we know it, and that in REALITY he DID experience all of those things.  It's hard to imagine.  Again, I have faith in it because I live a rather obedient life and I've SEEN and FELT the blessings of living the Gospel of who?  Jesus Christ.  I know that he is real, as is His gospel and the blessings that come from living it.  But I guess I want a real tangible feeling of those most important events, that they happened, and that the purpose is true.

While I didn't receive and angel in my room to assure me, nor a huge overwhelming feeling (as I sometimes LOVE to get) I got a simple thought of something to pray for.  I had the thought to pray for help recognizing the sin in my life on an everyday basis, that I might be humbled, and be called to repentance.  If I feel the need to truly repent, then I'll need my Savior's atonement.  I'll admit, I hear the apostles say they repent for a million things a day and that baffles me... because I KNOW they are better than me, and yet I can't think of a single thing to repent for most days.  I'm obviously too prideful... and I need to repent:)

I'm so grateful for this thought and I know that if I follow it, I'll be given that undoubtable knowledge that I seek that will bring me closer to my Savior.  I'm grateful for Him.  I know that he lives.  I know he came to earth.  I know I feel his presence in my life, and I know His gospel brings countless blessings!  I love him.  I'm so happy we get to celebrate him this Christmas season!

I leave this testimony to all those who read it, to my family, and to my own eyes and ears, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen



PP Faith #5

0 comments:

Post a Comment