Monday, March 22, 2010

1st Timer

Sunday March 21, 2010

So I read over Elder Eyring's talk and it was good to know that it took practice even for him at first. I don't know if it's that I'm looking too hard for BIG things, or if I think the small things are insignificant and not really the Lord's hand, but I think this is going to be a challenge. This one is a little all encompassing, but I feel so blessed in this particular regard.

I'm so grateful for my Ward Family. I don't think it a coincidence that we live here, in this neighborhood at this time. It took a lot to get us to be in NYC (back story) and when we decided on living here and starting a family here, I thought it was "right" for different reasons than what I believe today. Our Ward, the Inwood 1st Ward in the Manhattan Stake, is on fire! I feel humbled by the wisdom and intellect of the members. I'm shocked at their drive to do ANYTHING whether they be a performer, finance, med school, major research scientist, scholar, musician, etc. When you are surrounded by a bunch of people striving for such heights it does something to you.... well to us. I'm grateful for two aspects in particular:

1) I've never felt judged or felt like I have to keep up with the "Jones'" .. thank Heavens! I never could!
I could easily feel inadequate by comparing myself to others who are so much smarter and more talented than I. But I've never felt that way! It's such a welcoming place where I can just go get inspired. That brings me to...

2) As a young married couple, I feel like this was the perfect place for us to start. We had nothing set in stone, only a starting place. By being surrounded by these outstanding people we've realized our potential in so many ways. How we can be better and expect more professionally (especially my husband). We are inspired to be better parents, be more creative and really enjoy the city we are in. We feel inspired not to sit back and waste time, but to get out there and DO something, whether it be for work, school, family, church callings, etc. Anything is possible, and now we REALLY know that because we see others around us striving and achieving the impossible all the time. This started our family off right!! We will be a different family because of our ward family!

I know this is the Lord's hand in our lives. It is no coincidence that we've made such wonderful friends and learned so many great lessons here. When you live in a Jungle, a concrete jungle, you have to rely on the ward as your strength and family. We have each other. Thanks for making us feel apart of you. Thanks for being brave and bringing your families to NYC too. Thanks for inspiring us every day. I know it is our Heavenly Father that brought us all together.

AND.. on a personal note, I NEVER want to leave!

2 comments:

The Photo Pharm said...

Erin,

You are cutest soul I know. I'm glad you have learned so much from NYC and maybe a little jealous. ;) Do you know where you will be going for Dental school yet?

xoxo

The Colbys... written by Erin said...

Hey Jenna! Nope, we're just starting the application process. So we shall see. We have about another year here! Thanks goodness!

Post a Comment